I never thought I'd write a blog post about a bra. Then again, I never thought I'd find a bra that works for me.
I have a physical condition called pectus excavatum, or funnel chest. My sternum is concave and my entire rib cage is asymmetrical. I also have breast asymmetry and wear an Amoena Balance Contact 2D breast form. It adheres to the chest wall, helping to keep it in place, which is an improvement from previous forms which far too often, at the most inopportune times (like college graduation day, while everyone was taking pictures) would slide into the depression in my chest and fall out. You can imagine that with these deformities, bra shopping is not one of my favorite things to do, and I am rarely successful in finding bras that really work. The best bras have always been the most expensive, which is discouraging to my budget. Plus there's the whole low self-worth thing as I can't avoid looking at my deformities in the mirrors unsuccessfully trying on one bra after another. Bottom line, I despise bra shopping.
Because I dread it so much, I procrastinate. This weekend I could procrastinate no longer, and ventured to Kohl's to begin the hunt. I found the bra that I've been wearing, and began to pessimistically look around at the other options, certain that none of them would work, but determined to try them on anyway, all the while fighting against the voice inside my head that tells me I'm deformed and ugly. One style that has never worked for me is the popular t-shirt bra, because they're generally not made of a strong enough material to keep the prosthesis in place. One such bra looked promising, so I decided to try it.
Imagine my elation when the Maidenform One Fabulous Fit Decadence T-shirt Bra not only fit, but fit better than any. other. bra. I've. ever. worn. in. my. entire. life! I absolutely love, love, love it! And it was on sale, and then I used a coupon, so it cost less than $20. Get out!!! Seriously?!?!! I'm stocking up!
So what's so fantastic?
- The high-quality material is so soft and luxurious, yet firm and supportive.
- The shoulder straps have a stay-put lining on them to keep them securely in place (which helps to keep the breast form securely in place too).
- It's the t-shirt style, which means I can finally be comfortable and not self-conscious while enjoying the sleek and invisible fit.
- It's underwire, another imperative to holding the breast form in place, but comfortable!
- And the best part, for me, is the criss-cross feature in the front which is flexible enough to allow it to somewhat rest in my chest indentation, fitting better than any other bra. Not that it's perfect, no bra can fit flush against my chest, but it's so much better that so many others.
If anyone is googling best bra for pectus excavatum and breast asymmetry, I wanted them to find something helpful, and someone who understands the frustration, hence this post. The Maidenform One Fabulous Fit Decadence T-shirt Bra works for me!
For more Works for Me Wednesday posts go to We are THAT Family.
Grace and Peace,