It's hard to jump back into blogging when you've been out of the loop for a while. This meme seemed like a good way to start. (Hat tip to Denyse.)
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Gotta love it when the first question is impossible. Perhaps I need to try something new this year. Any suggestions?
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Ha! I try to avoid setting myself up to fail so early in the year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? I keep praying...
4. Did anyone close to you die? No, but I was definitely impacted by Christian's death.
5. What countries did you visit? I wish I could list countries, but Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Illinois kept us busy anyway.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? greater self-control; especially the ability to hold my temper
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I can't think of dates, but there are moments like watching the joy on my daughter's face when she danced, or seeing my son in his football pads, or how sassy my youngest can be, or how my middle daughter's eyes light up, standing beside my husband and leading worship...I'll cherish the 10,000 photos I took too. ;)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? how telling is it that I am unable to answer this question?
9. What was your biggest failure? losing my temper
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? no
11. What was the best thing you bought? Canon 40D
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? my kids all had their moments, and Chris definitely deserves a prize
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? my own at times, see number 9
14. Where did most of your money go? I have 4 kids; need I say more? Otherwise: mortgage payments, groceries, camera, wood floor in the family room
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The Connersvine/David Crowder Band Concert...that was so fun!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Another impossible question...Boomin' by Toby Mac (I heart Natalie).
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? (a) probably about the same, (b) thinner, (c) poorer, but on the road to richer thanks to FPU
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? personal Bible study and intense prayer
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? wasting time on the computer (sorry)
20. How did you spend Christmas? my sister drove in with her Siberian Husky from South Dakota and stay with us the week of Christmas, so I pretty much had a revolving door with the rest of my family that week, then we packed up and headed to PA for a week with Chris' family. Fun times, but I'm exhausted!
21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Yes; it's amazing to me when even after 12 years of marriage I manage to fall in love with my husband all over again.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Not many to choose from, I would say The Biggest Loser, but some of the contestants were really aggravating, so that leaves American Idol or The Amazing Race...not sure I can say...I was hooked on both, but in retrospect it's hard to say either was my favorite...
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? not even in my vocabulary
24. What was the best book you read? Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter, although I loved The Princess Bride, and I re-read the entire Anne of Green Gables series...
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? I really do have a nice voice, and I shouldn't be so insecure about what people think when I'm leading worship.
26. What did you want and get? Canon 40D
27. What did you want and not get? professional photographic ability
28. What was your favorite film of this year? These are hard questions!!! I didn't see many...Um...if I weren't so critical I would say Fireproof...oh I know: Kit Kittredge. ;)
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? My actual birthday was lousy. I only got one present that I'd pretty much had to force my husband to buy me (a $10 CD), I went grocery shopping with 4 kids in the peak Thanksgiving rush hour shopping madness where I received a 20 minute long sermon from a complete stranger, baked my own birthday cake and dinner (can't even remember what that was...something quick because my husband and son had Scouts...), and cried and pouted a lot. I turned 34. On the plus side, my husband did hyjac my blog, and I got so many lovely birthday wishes from all of you, as well as my facebook friends, and my kids tried to make the day special too. Then my sister took pity on me and invited us over the next night for a little party, and later Melissa brought me cookies because she thought it was pathetic that I had to bake my own cake.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A housekeeper
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? I don't have money to spend on a "personal fashion concept." I would love to find an inexpensive purple sweater though, and I finally bought a new pair of jeans this week that are a size smaller than my previous size. :)
32. What kept you sane? The Holy Spirit, God's grace, and Jesus
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Who uses the word "fancy" anymore in this sense? Anywho...Sarah Palin maybe
34. What political issue stirred you the most? You don't want to get me started...let's just say I'm not thrilled with our current political environment and not optimistic that "change" will be positive for our country...
35. Who did you miss? I missed LOTS of different people all year long. There are pieces of my heart scattered all over the country.
36. Who was the best new person you met? In real life: Emily & Gayle
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. (I'm so glad it said "a" not "the most important".) Here's one: being critical leads to leprousy...
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Impossible...okay I'm thinking...as much music as we listen to around here I should know this...if I weren't so concerned about getting it wrong...sigh...alright; I know there are others, and this one might actually have been more appropriate in say 2006, but...
"The winds of change and circumstance
Blow in and all around us
So we find a foothold that's familiar
And bless the moments that we feel You nearer" (I Am from Woven & Spun; Nichole Nordeman)
Happy New Year! :)
Grace and Peace,